How many of you like fish? If you do, you will love this simple dinner recipe. If not, then just trust me and give it a try. You will not be disappointed.
Fish has been an integral part of my childhood (and adulthood, if I may say so). We used to eat a fish curry or ‘machher jhol’ (a spicy fish stew) as kids at least twice a week if not thrice. It’s a staple in Bengal. In case you cannot relate to what I am saying then let me put it simply, Bengalis and fish are like two peas in a pod. Trying to keep the two away from each other is sacrilege.
Therefore, it goes without saying that here, too, I get my ‘fishy’ cravings. To satisfy those cravings I opt for fillets without a doubt. SO much easier to eat, I feel, and easier to cook as well! In an attempt to eat healthier I came upon this easy recipe on YouTube 3 years back. Of course, I have tweaked it. (Something I love to do!) The original recipe was pan-seared fish and I wanted to use the oven to cook it so I came up with the oven version. It’s a super simple, healthy, carbohydrate free (!!!), gluten-free recipe that you could try for a quick weekday dinner or make it for friends and family!
Ingredients you will need:
4 fillets Tilapia fish (You can go for your favorite fish fillet like catfish and ‘bhetki‘)
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp olive oil
½-1 tbsp freshly cracked pepper or ground pepper
Salt according to taste
1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1-2 tbsp olive oil ( only if you are pan-searing)
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup peas
1 cup corn
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
½ cup green beans, chopped
½ cup carrots, diced
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp cumin powder
½ tsp ground pepper
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (you can also use fresh cilantro/coriander)
salt according to taste
Method for cooking:
For the fish: (using oven)
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Mix olive oil, paprika, salt, pepper and lemon juice together. Rub this mixture well into the fish fillets and let this marinade for 15-20 minutes.
- Place the fish on a baking rack or a well-greased baking sheet. You could use a non-stick spray. Bake the marinated fillets for 25 mins. Then turn the fillets and bake for another 10 mins.
- Now put the oven on ‘Broil’ at 350 F and broil for 5 mins.
Alternate method (using a stove pan for pan-searing method):
You can cook the fish fillets simply by heating 2 tbsp of olive oil on medium-high heat, carefully placing the fillets in the hot oil and pan-searing them till golden brown or till fish is cooked. You will achieve similar results as in the method using the oven.
1) Heat oil in a pan. Add onions and saute till translucent.
2) Now add the bean and carrots, salt, cumin powder. Mix all together, cover and cook till carrots are almost fully cooked.
3) Add the remaining ingredients, stir well. Add the freshly cracked pepper and fresh parsley. Uncover the pan and cook till tomatoes look slightly smushed. Turn off the heat. And you are done! Just squeeze some more lemon on your fish and your home-cooked fish and vegetable plate is ready to be served. 🙂