If you know Thai cuisine, you will know the Thai curries. And on the first day of Spring, here’s presenting you a colorful and nutritious dish with veggies galore and tofu.
We step out to restaurants to indulge in this cuisine. But if you have some basic ingredients at home it is quite simple to cook Thai food.
After making Thai Basil Chicken and remaking it quite a few times, I embarked upon creating the Thai red curry with tofu and loads of vegetables. The vegetarian red curry is simple, doesn’t take long to cook and it’s perfect if you are entertaining and need to cook more than one dish for friends and family.
Thai curries go best with steamed white rice. You could also opt for brown rice if you please.
This is a great recipe for Vegans, too! Coconut milk is a complete plant product and along with the other veggies it turns out to be a wholesome vegan meal.
Ingredients you will need:
2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp Thai red curry paste (depends on how spicy you want your dish to be)
2 tsp palm sugar
2 cans of coconut milk (each can is 400 ml)
1 ¼ cups of vegetable or mushroom broth
1 tbsp fish sauce or soya sauce
1 can of baby corn, halved ( each can is 14.5 oz. or 414 gm)
8-10 Thai green eggplant, halved
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1 pack firm/extra firm Tofu (14 oz. or 396 gm), cubed
1 ¼ cup chopped small onion or shallots
Few leaves of Thai Basil
4-5 florets of broccoli (optional)
1 tsp paprika powder (optional)
salt according to taste
Method of cooking:
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the Thai red curry paste and combine well. You can always add more paste later if you want your dish to be more spicy.
- After the paste is cooked in the oil, add the coconut milk, vegetable/mushroom broth, fish sauce and palm sugar and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally.
- Add the eggplants at this point. They will require some time to cook.
- Once the eggplants are almost cooked, add the baby corn, carrots, bell peppers, broccoli, shallots. Ensure that vegetables are all immersed in the coconut milk sauce. Cook this for 7-10 mins on medium -high flame.
- Add paprika if you want a deeper red color.
- Lastly add the tofu, Thai basil and salt, give it a final stir and cook for 5-7 mins.
Note: I have used vegetables of my choice. However, bamboo shoots, snow peas, green peas are popular vegetable options to add to your curry. Feel free to use what you like!
Until next time, happy cooking!